Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

He and I will get along....except

I had meet Pa's parents one time before we were engaged. Because of that I was more then a little nervous when I was around them.

After I left their house my chin would chatter for 10 to 20 min. on the way out of town.

Summer had come and we were back living with our parents. Pa would come up to my folks house just about every other weekend until the wedding.
I only went to his folks house 2 or 3 times. One, because I'm pretty sure my dad did not think it was proper and second because I didn't have my own car.

The very first weekend I stayed must have been Memorial Day or Labor Day weekend because I didn't go home on Sunday afternoon to be at work on Monday morning.

Pa was a youth minister at that time. His church had different hours then his parents church. We would be back at the house about a half hour before they got back.

Yes.... some kissing did take place, but a pillow fight was the main event. Even then I had the feeling that Grandma M&M wouldn't have liked us pillow fighting , but I was winning and Pa knew the house rules. Their car came in the drive and Pa and I returned to civilized adults.
Popcorn and cokes were fixed and a wonderful show about snakes was National Geo.
Pa and I were laying on the floor in front of the TV. Mom and Dad are sitting in the love seat just back of us. All was calm.... expect when little brother crept up behind me a yelled SNAKE.

And I went to get up, to go do something, and the next thing I know I'm flat on my face in front of dad and mom.

I wanted to die and kill Pa all at the same time. He had grabbed my ankle just as I started to get up. I fell like a tree in the forest.

There were hours in those moments and I wanted to be anywhere but there. When, I did look up, my further father-in-law was just looking at me with this kind of it will be OK kid grin on his face and right then I knew he and I would get along.

And we have except for.......

the one time he raised his voice at me.
We were at the dinner table, discussing problem in which I felt my way was the right way.

His index finger got pointed at me and a "young lady you listen to me" or "young lady I'm telling you"came out of his mouth and that was the end of my rebellion.

And, as in most cases, his age and wisdom knew the right way to deal with the problem causing no undue harm. My way would have.

From that day on I have never wanted my father -in-law to raise his voice to me.
He hasn't, even though, I'm pretty sure I have given him a good number of opportunities.

Thanks Grandpa

No comments: