Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Monday, March 05, 2007

Pa's kitchen

I made a beautiful pie in the 8th grade and since that time have not been able to make another. I tried and tried but they were just ugly.

One day while we were back in college I came home from work to the smell of a apple pie. Then I saw a pie that could have won at the fair and I was done baking pies. That year Pa started baking. A friend taught him to make bagel's and some breads teaching him that bread baking is good way to work off college stress. Over the years he has spent a good amount of time in the kitchen.

Since the first of the year we have been sharing the evening meal at church. Pa and I drive a ways to get there, so we try to keep it simple a casserole and a cake.

I have learned that carry in dinners are great for trying new recipes. If you don't like it your still going to bring home a empty pan. Well this past week I found a recipe that sounded good and what a mess it made. Pa used every pot in the kitchen, that was after making a cake that used most of the bowls.

Come time to start putting the finishing touches on the cake. Bad news the cakes didn't get done, they looked done but the middle was almost raw. So after all that work and mess no cake.

The casserole was a Russian recipe hamburger, lamb, eggs, potatoes and cheese. Last night we brought home half a pan.

Today I start anew after tossing the Russian recipe I'll look for another recipe. Come the weekend Pa may try his cake recipe again and new casserole, make another big mess and have a wonderful time.

3 comments:

FarmWife said...

How is it that I am nearly 31 years old and never knew my daddy could make bagles?! Bread, pies, cake, cookies, donuts, yes. Bagles, no!

Queen Mother said...

I guess it is because we ate so many before you were born that he quit making them.
If you tell him your craving them he might just make you some.

FarmWife said...

No, but if I tell him I'm craving J.J.'s BBQ, do you think he'd bring me some?