Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

My Million dollar Mom

When I was a teenager the "Million Dollar Man" was a TV show that my brothers watched. I watched it because Lee Majors was the star. He had been hurt and became a government experiment for body parts. The new superman able to do just about anything. So very unreal to me.



Now my mom is part of the bionic crowed.



From the moment FarmWife told me grandma was having her knee replaced it creeped me out.

I thought the doctor would cut her bones off above and below the knee and stick this huge mess of metal were the knee had been. I thought she would be recovering the rest of the summer.



Well as it turned out, all he did was take a small part of the bone, that had been destroyed by the arthritis, and fitted a cuff over the leg bones. The knee hooked into the cuffs some how and ta-da a new working knee.

How it all goes together and works turns out to be kind of cool. Mom even got to keep her knee cap.

She was up and walking in just a couple of days. In two weeks time the doctor told her she could drive.



She wisely waited until she could get by without her pain med's. Driving and sleeping don't go together well. She could have driven off into a cornfield and we wouldn't found her until harvest.



I still get creeped out when I think about it, but I'm glad mom is able to move around a whole lot easier and without a lot of pain.



Who knows she might just have a new hobby now to.

Setting off metal detectors.

She could be the reason for the long lines at airports.

1 comment:

FarmWife said...

Too bad Busha didn't get her own theme music to go along with her new knee. It could play everytime she walks on the treadmill.