Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Its Winds Day

I'm not sure but I think the middle of our state is being blown away. I haven't worked up the courage to look out side and see.
At one time I lived not far from the "windy city" and that is what this puts me in mind of.
Do you know how Chicago got it's nick name? I was told that it was because of the wind whipping across the plains and off the lake.
Not true as it turns out "windy" was the name given to the politicians who wanted to host the World's Fair. They sent a group of men to speak to the fair committee and then like all good politician's talked and talked until the newspapers dubbed them "windy".
They did host the fair and they still have the nickname. Today if your standing in Chicago and that wind whips through you, you'll know one of the reason why they still have their nickname. Then if you listen to their politicians you'll know the other.

3 comments:

FarmWife said...

Must be that snow blowing in...

I did not know that about Chicago...maybe that's because we moved before I got to state history in 7th grade.

zann said...

So this is not really a comment on this post exactly, but after reading Farmwife's blog I had to come by and say....
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Lauren said...

Feliz cumpleanos!!!
(Happy birthday in what some say will soon be our second language in the USA.)